This is CS50's introduction to technology for students who don‚Äôt (yet) consider themselves computer persons. Designed for those who work with technology every day but don‚Äôt necessarily understand how it all works underneath the hood or how to solve problems when something goes wrong, this course fills in the gaps, empowering you to use and troubleshoot technology more effectively. Through lectures on hardware, the Internet, multimedia, security, programming, and web development, this course equips you for today‚Äôs technology and prepares you for tomorrow‚Äôs as well.
About this course
What you'll learn
- web development
At a glance
About the instructors
Gordon McKay Professor of the Practice of Computer Science
Ways to take this course
Choose your path when you enroll
Qualify to receive a verified certificate that you can add to your resume or post on LinkedIn.
Start learning for free today, then upgrade to earn your verified certificate later.
Frequently asked questions
You'll have a different experience in your course depending on whether you've enrolled in the free audit track or paid verified track. As a free audit learner, you will have temporary access to course materials except graded assignments, and you will not earn a certificate the end of the course. You will be able to access the free content for the estimated course length posted on the course introduction page in the catalog.
If a course is active, you can enroll in the verified track to pursue a verified certificate of achievement.
Benefits of the verified track
- Qualify to receive a verified certificate if you earn a passing score before the course ends
- Access all graded assignments and exams
- View the course materials even after the course is archived
- Includes readings, videos, discussions, practice problems and progress just like the free audit track
- Easily share your certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
- Support our mission of affordable education to everyone globally
If you click Pursue the Verified Track you'll be directed to the payment page. Enter your credit card information or click the PayPal button in the upper right to pay from your PayPal account. All fees are charged in US Dollars.
As a free audit learner, you will have temporary access to all course materials except graded assignments, and you will not earn a certificate the end of the course. You will be able to access the free content for the expected course length posted on the course introduction page in the catalog.
Benefits of the verified track
- Start learning for free and upgrade later if the upgrade deadline hasn't passed
- Access course readings and video lectures
- Complete any ungraded, practice assignments if the course features any
- Participate in the the course discussion forums
- View progress of any ungraded practice assignments
- Expires after the estimated course length has passed
Upgrading to the verified track will give you access to all materials, including graded assignments, until the course end date. Upgrading will not change or extend the course end date. You’ll still need to pass the course before it ends in order to earn a certificate. After the course end date, as a verified learner, you will have access to archived course content and materials, as long it exists on edX.
In the free audit track, you can access the course content for the Estimated course length listed on the course introduction page in the course catalog.
If your access to the audit track has expired and the course is still open for verified enrollment, you may Upgrade to Verified from your edX Dashboard to regain access.
If the upgrade option no longer appears or if you do not wish to or are unable to pay, you may instead enroll again in a future session. Most edX courses repeat in new sessions.